Finding a Quality Window Installer
Many homeowners enjoy the task of finding that perfect replacement window. It’s fun looking at styles, colors, and finishes. It’s rewarding to seek out windows that could provide extra comfort or energy savings. Far fewer homeowners enjoy the task of choosing a quality window installer. By the time the window is selected, the choice of installer can almost be an afterthought. That’s a mistake.
Without expert installation, nothing else will matter. A beautiful window that isn’t plumb and square will be an annoyance, not a pleasure. The best-engineered window will let in heat and cold if the opening wasn’t properly filled and sealed. What’s worse: a poor-quality installation could allow water to penetrate the window opening and cause damaging, and expensive, rot.
Starting to think that finding the right window installer is worth a little time and effort? Here are some tips which should help you choose a good one:
- Check references for multiple installers, starting with the Better Business Bureau. Also look at reviews and ratings on sites such Google, Yelp, or Angie’s List.
- Get multiple bids. You should get at least three bids for your window installation.
- Check each bid for start and completion dates, specific breakdowns of labor, and notes regarding whether or not there is a flat fee, or if the fee will vary depending on the time required.
- Ask for proof of insurance, state licensing, and local permits; no reputable installer will take this request personally. Keep in mind that licensing and permit requirements vary by both city and state.
- Ask about a warranty – the installer should offer one. A two-year warranty that covers workmanship is an industry-standard.
- If possible, use the same contractor for both windows and installation; many window companies, such as Renewal by Andersen of Central NC, handle both sides; this can make the process easier – especially if something goes wrong.
- If possible, use installers that specialize in windows; any team that installs windows every day is likely to be more skilled than one that handles a wide variety of construction tasks.
Choose your installer wisely, and your windows should be a source of pride and enjoyment for the next 20 years. So when it comes to choosing your window installer, take your time and perform your due diligence. You’ll never regret it.