What Are the Signs of a Bad Radiator?The radiator is one of the most crucial elements of your vehicle. Your car’s engine produces a lot of heat when it runs, which is then absorbed by a coolant that runs through the radiator and cools down the engine. If your radiator isn’t working properly, your engine will overheat, which could be anything from mildly inconvenient to seriously dangerous. It’s essential that you know how to recognize the signs of a bad radiator so that you can get it repaired or replaced as soon as possible and avoid getting stuck on the highway with an overheated engine.
- Leaking or Pooling Coolant
- Chronic Overheating
- Coolant Sludge
How Often Should I Replace My Radiator?There’s no golden rule for a radiator replacement. It all depends on how you use your car and how well you’ve maintained your radiator. Some radiators can last in great condition for a decade or more, and some need to be replaced after only a few years. The best thing to do is to make sure you’re taking your vehicle into a car repair shop for maintenance on a regular basis and keep on the lookout for any signs of radiator damage or malfunction. How Often Should I Flush My Radiator? Again, there’s no one rule for how often you should flush your radiator, but it’s best to err on the side of caution. Flushing your radiator can extend the lifespan of your entire vehicle. It gets rid of rust, dirt, and other contaminants that could be reducing the effectiveness of your car’s coolant. Most experts recommend that you flush your radiator at least once every three to five years or once every 30,000-50,000 miles. It’s a relatively inexpensive task that you can either take care of on your own or have your local car repair shop handle for you.
Clean For Your HealthYour carpets and upholstered furniture may look clean, but only because you cannot see what is hidden inside. While bacteria and allergens are invisible, they can endanger your health. Carpet and upholstery are home to dust mites, mold, pollen, and germs. These substances are harmful to your eyes, skin, and respiratory system. It is impossible to remove all these substances with your vacuum. For a thorough cleaning job, you need a professional cleaner. After your home has been cleaned, it will be a safe, healthy environment for you and your family. Perhaps you have used carpet cleaning products in the past. While they do not perform as well as professional cleaning, there is another issue to consider. Products you buy online or from local stores are usually made with toxic chemicals. The residue remains on surfaces and in the air after you have finished cleaning. You should not want your family members and pets to come in contact with toxic chemicals. Eco-friendly cleaning is the healthiest way to clean. Even if there are small children, elderly persons, or someone with health conditions in your household, green cleaning is perfectly safe. The air and every surface will be free from chemicals. For all of these reasons and more, L & K Chem-Dry is your solution for healthy and safe carpet cleaning.
Save MoneyYou may be wondering how hiring a professional cleaning company can help you save money. There are a number of reasons it is the economical choice. When you hire a professional cleaner, thorough cleaning will leave the carpet in excellent condition. While products you can purchase can cause carpets to fade and may even weaken the fibers, it will look fresh and new after it is cleaning. Carpeting will last much longer, and not need to be replaced. If you clean the carpet yourself, accidents may occur. A cleaning solution that is too strong can ruin the color, or a machine can tear out the fibers. You can avoid accidents by not cleaning it yourself, and hiring a professional to do the job.
Less Work For YouSpring cleaning is a time-consuming task. There are many different chores you need to do. As there is more to cleaning a carpet than using a vacuum, professional cleaning will reduce your work load. You do not have to move furniture, or clean up afterward. You can focus on other tasks, or relax with your family.
A Beautiful Home
Think of all the reasons for spring cleaning. Health and freshness are important, but you also want every room to look its best. If a carpet is dirty, it ruins the appearance of the entire room. Everyone in the family walks on the carpet every day. It is worse when moisture, rock salt, and mud are tracked in from outdoors. The carpet appears dull and old. If you have pets, they may have had accidents on the floor. You may be thinking of replacing carpets because you have not been able to remove the stains. With L & K Chem-Dry, you will no longer have stained carpets. Every inch of carpeting will be stain-free and clean. Your carpets will also be free from odor. Even the odor from pet urine will be gone. If someone has spilled sticky beverages or foods on the carpet, upholstered couch or chairs, or carpeted stairway, these areas will be clean and fresh, too. Every room throughout your house will be beautiful again. Without stains, odor, and residue from outdoors, you will be proud to invite guests to your house. You will enjoy entertaining, and living there with your family.
Cleaning Is EasyMost people thoroughly clean their homes twice each year. In some cases, though, it should be done more often. If you have pets, young children, a person with a health condition, or simply a high-traffic home, spring and fall cleaning may not be enough. When you contact a professional, you can choose a cleaning schedule that will meet your specific needs. Twice a year, once a month, or the schedule you prefer, professional carpet cleaning is cleaning made easy. Instead of trying to clean carpets yourself, you can take the simple approach that produces the best results. All you really need for thorough carpet cleaning is L & K Chem-Dry. If you continue vacuuming throughout the house on a regular basis, carpeting will always look nice. However, whenever it is time for deep cleaning, do not hesitate to call in a professional. When you notice the freshness, and how lovely your entire home looks after the carpets have been cleaned, you will be delighted with the results.
Many homeowners enjoy the task of finding that perfect replacement window. It’s fun looking at styles, colors, and finishes. It’s rewarding to seek out windows that could provide extra comfort or energy savings. Far fewer homeowners enjoy the task of choosing a quality window installer. By the time the window is selected, the choice of installer can almost be an afterthought. That’s a mistake. Without expert installation, nothing else will matter. A beautiful window that isn’t plumb and square will be an annoyance, not a pleasure. The best-engineered window will let in heat and cold if the opening wasn’t properly filled and sealed. What’s worse: a poor-quality installation could allow water to penetrate the window opening and cause damaging, and expensive, rot. Starting to think that finding the right window installer is worth a little time and effort? Here are some tips which should help you choose a good one:
- Check references for multiple installers, starting with the Better Business Bureau. Also look at reviews and ratings on sites such Google, Yelp, or Angie’s List.
- Get multiple bids. You should get at least three bids for your window installation.
- Check each bid for start and completion dates, specific breakdowns of labor, and notes regarding whether or not there is a flat fee, or if the fee will vary depending on the time required.
- Ask for proof of insurance, state licensing, and local permits; no reputable installer will take this request personally. Keep in mind that licensing and permit requirements vary by both city and state.
- Ask about a warranty – the installer should offer one. A two-year warranty that covers workmanship is an industry-standard.
- If possible, use the same contractor for both windows and installation; many window companies, such as Renewal by Andersen of Central NC, handle both sides; this can make the process easier – especially if something goes wrong.
- If possible, use installers that specialize in windows; any team that installs windows every day is likely to be more skilled than one that handles a wide variety of construction tasks.
For someone in her late-seventies, my mom is pretty self-sufficient, but that doesn’t mean that much comes easy to her. For almost as long as I can remember, she’s suffered from rheumatoid arthritis. So things I’m lucky enough to take for granted – like being able to rise from a chair and walk across a room without discomfort – haven’t been part of her life for a long time now. As I said, my mom is self-sufficient. She cleans, she drives, she shops, and she cooks. Her townhouse still looks neat and clean, and her fridge is usually full when I come over to visit. But I’ve realized that maintaining her home is taking too much out of her – even when I pitch in to help. Lately, she’s been spending less time doing things that she enjoys, like drawing old Victorian houses or tending flowers in her garden. My mom also seems to be spending less time socializing, too. Lately, I’ve found myself worrying more about my mom’s happiness than about her ability to take care of herself. But I’ve drawn the conclusion that getting someone to help take care of my mom would give her the time and energy she needs to focus more on the things she enjoys instead of the things she has to do. And I’ve started looking into the possibility of arranging for some senior care for her. One thing I soon discovered was that senior care comes in almost as many forms as there are seniors. Some seniors, for example, have lost the ability to live alone without help. Possibly they can no longer drive. Perhaps they no longer have the energy to clean or shop. Or maybe the issue is cognitive, where the senior can no longer reliably manage things like paying bills, keeping appointments, or managing medications. Senior care can address any one of these issues, or all of them – depending on the situation. Other seniors are like my mom. They can still handle things, but – either by choice or necessity – would be better off delegating. Like my mom, they can do almost anything. The problem is that it’s getting too hard to do everything. My mom needs someone to – more regularly than I can – relieve her of some of the burden of managing everyday tasks. With some senior care, she could have the luxury of deciding which tasks to hold onto, and which ones to delegate to a care provider. I’ve also been wrestling with the idea of how to bring up the subject without it being quickly dismissed. While my mom enjoys my help, it’s because it’s provided with love by her son. I’m not sure that she would be open to the idea of relying on someone else to do the dishes, scrub the floors, or fold her laundry. She would say she can do it herself, and she would be right. So I’ve decided to package the idea of senior care as a way to enhance her life – not take over the management of it. Every task handled by a caregiver can give my mom a little more time, energy, and freedom to do what she wants. I also discovered that some senior care might offer some social benefit for her. Seniors Helping Seniors is an agency that employs seniors as care providers. It would be nice if she enjoyed the company provided by the caregiver, just like she enjoys my company when I drop by to lend a hand. I’m hoping that my mom is open to the idea of getting some help from a senior care agency for a few hours a week. If I can get her to understand that getting some help is about providing freedom – and not taking it – that will go a long way in getting her to agree to it. If she believes that the care agency could introduce her to a friendly new senior or two, that would be helpful as well. More happiness and independence are almost within my mom’s reach – she just needs a little boost to get there.
DUIs are more common than you might think. In 2012, 1 in 165 licensed drivers were arrested for a DUI. Getting a DUI can be extremely stressful, but it’s very important to be prepared for the situation, and attend to the matters at hand in a timely fashion. A DUI can result in hefty fines, restrictions or revocation of your license, problems with employment, and even jail time. Because of this, it’s important that you act quickly. Finding the right DUI lawyer can help alleviate the situation and ease your mind. An experienced DUI attorney will be able to help you determine whether or not it is better to plead guilty or to fight the charges in a courtroom. Follow these steps when hiring an attorney to help with your DUI case. Start With A List To find an experienced attorney in your area, start by getting recommendations from people you trust. However, you shouldn’t automatically hire a lawyer just because a family member or close friend recommended them – they may not always be the right fit. There are lots of different areas of law, and most lawyers will have a specialty. The next step you should take is to conduct a search online. Fire up your favorite web browser, pull up Google, and enter what you’re looking for along with the area where you were arrested. For instance, if you got a DUI in Chesterfield, VA, you’d search for “dui lawyer chesterfield” to pull up law firms in the area that specialize in criminal and traffic law. Take your time as you look through the results. Take note of user reviews, visit their website to get a feel for the practice, and review their education, history, and level of experience. Narrow Things Down Once you have an initial list, you’ll want to narrow it down to 3-5 attorneys to further investigate. This is where you’ll take a better look at their background, areas of expertise, whether they are in good standing with the state bar, what types of reviews they have, and so on. You’ll want to ensure the attorney you hire is local to the area to save attorney’s fees. You’ll also want to ensure they are licensed, in good standing with the state bar, and specializes in DUI law. You should also review their level of experience, education, and reviews to see typical experiences other clients had with the lawyer. Make An Appointment Many attorneys will offer a free in person consultation to meet you and discuss your upcoming case. When you meet the lawyer, make sure you are forthright about all matters to your case. Give the attorney all of the facts, even if they’re a bit embarrassing. Providing all the details of what happened will best prepare the attorney to make decisions about how to handle your case. Make sure your bring any documents you received from the police, magistrate, insurance agencies, or other individuals involved in the case. Discuss the attorney’s experience and whether or not they will be handling the case directly. At a bigger law firm, a younger attorney may handle your case instead. Ask to meet with who will represent you in court to ensure you feel comfortable with their level of expertise. Make sure the attorneys present a clear strategy for handling your case, and make you feel comfortable. Look At The Costs Attorney’s fees for a DUI can range dramatically. Many factors will determine their costs, such as location, if there were injuries or damage to property, the attorney’s level of experience and reputation, and more. Fees are typically between $2000 and $5000, but they could be upward of $20,000 depending on the case. When you meet with an attorney, make sure this is all discussed before your case. Fees should be determined in advance and you should be presented with a contract. Keep in mind that lawyer’s fees are negotiable, although highly skilled and reputable lawyers will be less likely to cut you a break on their fees. Also keep in mind that you don’t have to go with the first attorney you meet with. Feel free to meet with two or three and pick the one that’s right for you. A DUI is extremely stressful and a highly serious matter. Take the time to do your research to find the best person to represent you in court – your freedom could depend on it!
Oral health is a subject that very few people actually understand. Do you know that taking care of your mouth, gum, and teeth is crucial in achieving an overall healthy body? It's clear that maintaining good dental health protects one from experiencing bad breath, gum disease, and tooth decay. It's important to know that the importance of dental hygiene doesn't begin and end in the mouth. Research shows that dental flossing and brushing helps fend off many medical disorders that aren't mouth related - such as stroke, heart attack, and diabetes. It's always important to visit your dentist in Raleigh, NC on a regular basis. To understand how oral health impacts your overall physical health, it's important to consider the following concepts.
- Most Systemic Infections First Manifest in the Mouth According to research by the Academy of General Dentistry, almost 90% of systemic conditions such as HIV & AIDS and diabetes initially manifest in the mouth. These disease often present as concerning lesions in the mouth. A regular dental check-up is vital in discovering these systemic conditions in order to prevent them from persisting and getting worse.
- Oral Health Can Help To Determine Overall Health A simple mouth swab can reveal to a doctor everything that is going on inside your body. The doctor is able to tell from the composition of the saliva if you are healthy. It's vital to understand that the mouth is the main window into the body. This means that you can prevent entry of micro-organisms into the body by controlling your oral health.
- Saliva is an Effective Diagnostic Tool Saliva contains a number of indicator molecules that your oral specialist can look at to make an assessment of your general health. For instance, the level of cortisol in the saliva is indicative of stress response. Traces of protein in saliva indicate signs of osteoporosis in men and women. Due to the ability to detect HIV antibodies, scientists have developed commercial saliva kits. Though this has not come into effect yet, the saliva kits are bound to replace blood kits in the future. This means that conditions such as liver cirrhosis, Parkinson's disease, and diabetes will soon be detected with a saliva kit.
- Your Mouth is a Source for Infection Experts in cosmetic dentistry and other branches in oral medicine emphasize the importance of better teeth and gum structure. What many don't explain is that strong gums and good teeth are integral in preventing conditions such as gingivitis, trench mouth, and periodontitis. When flossing, it's important for you to make sure that there are no cuts in your mouth that microorganisms can use to invade your bloodstream. The cosmetic dentist will help you go through the right procedure so as not to compromise your oral defense.A condition like Bacteremia (presence of bacteria in the blood) starts from the mouth, and can result in serous heart infections such as Endocarditis. Recent research shows that there is a strong relationship between plaque and major systemic conditions. According to the study, plaque can result in poor diabetes management, cardiovascular diseases, and pre-term delivery. Frequent visits to the dentist are advised in order to prevent these conditions.
- Saliva Can Prevent Harmful Bacteria It's proven that saliva is the body's first line of defense against harmful microorganisms that enter the mouth. Saliva is believed to possess antibacterial and antiviral properties. This means that healthy saliva can protect you from most viral and bacterial attacks. The antibodies in saliva help to protect you against the flu and the common cold. This means that if you are prone to these illnesses, you should consider taking better care of your oral health. Microbes can enter your bloodstream, resulting in serious health issues.
If you’re looking for a professional carpet cleaner, you’ll want to take your time and do it right. Look at it this way: Your carpet represents a big investment. The right cleaning service can help you enjoy that investment, every day, for years. The wrong cleaning service can ruin that investment, cutting short the life of your expensive carpeting and requiring you to replace it years too early. The best way to select a quality carpet cleaning company (aside from personal recommendations), is to take the time to ask a few questions. Start with the ones included below. Get the right answers, and you’ll be well on your way to finding a carpet cleaning service you’ll trust for years. Be wary of the lowest-priced option The most successful carpet cleaners are rarely the least expensive. Cleaning services that succeed do so on the strength of jobs well done; the quality of their work generates positive word of mouth, stellar reviews, and repeat business. Successful cleaning services also tend to retain the best employees – paying them a premium in order to ensure that work is performed by skilled technicians who take pride in their work. Companies that can’t rely on quality results to generate business have to use other means – such as offering deep discounts to potential new customers; if you see a price that’s below the competition’s, be wary. Ask if the cleaning company is insured One way that successful carpet cleaners maintain a quality team is by offering quality insurance coverage. While you don’t need to know the details of this coverage, it’s entirely appropriate to ask your cleaner if a.) they are fully insured and b.) if they provide offer workman’s compensation. This insurance not only covers the employees, but protects you from liability should an injury occur on your property; a lack of insurance suggests that the company has no problem cutting corners to make a few extra dollars. That’s a red flag, for certain. Ask if work is guaranteed A carpet cleaning should always come with a satisfaction guarantee. Generally speaking, the cleaning service will pledge to return and re-treat any areas of the carpet where a spot was left behind; this spot will be treated until you are satisfied with the results. Companies that perform quality work will rarely be asked to return – a small price to pay for giving their customers extra confidence; only companies worried about having to return too many times will fail to offer a guarantee. These are the cleaning companies you’ll want to avoid. Ask if the company uses green cleaning methods As you should know by now: There’s quite a difference between the best carpet cleaners and all of the rest. So it shouldn’t surprise you that their cleaning methods can also vary a great deal. One key difference that separates the best cleaners from the also-rans is the use of green cleaning solutions. Meridian Chem-Dry, for example, uses only non-toxic, child-safe, and eco-friendly carpet cleaning solutions. Competitors that employ less expensive detergents or solvents may be able to remove stains, but they may also leave you with a carpet that you would rather not touch. Ask for a quote in advance Reputable carpet cleaning companies have experienced, confident technicians who will get the job done in a minimum amount of time, with a minimum amount of surprises. As a result, these technicians have no problem providing written quotes prior to beginning work. Companies that don’t offer quotes in advance are a.) less experienced, b.) less efficient, and/or c.) less transparent in their pricing. None of these options should inspire your confidence. Stick with companies that aren’t afraid to offer pricing in advance.
Dreaming of a fall wedding? You are not alone. Fall, with its slight chill and colorful foliage, is a great season for a wedding. With a fall wedding, you can incorporate seasonal elements into different areas of the ceremony for a truly unique experience that you and your guests will cherish forever. Here are the steps for planning the ultimate fall wedding.
1. Make the big decisions first.There are a couple of things you need to get out of the way before you sit down to plan your wedding. First, you need to decide on the kind of ceremony you want. Do you want a pastor to officiate, or would you opt for a rabbi or an imam? Do you want to do it indoors or outdoors? Can you decide between an unconventional wedding venue or your local church? How many guests do you want to invite? What's the color and theme? It is best to agree on these major areas before you take the next step to lower the chances of disagreements and miscommunication once you're knee-deep in wedding preparations.
2. Make a budget.The budget is essential especially if you both decide to put a cap on how much you want to spend. A budget can also help you narrow down your options which can make for more efficient decision-making. A great tip when doing your budget is to ask your local wedding planner for a rough estimate for a wedding such as yours to get a reasonable benchmark. This is a great way to avoid overpaying for certain services and can help you allocate more resources to areas of the wedding that mean more to you as a couple.
3. Choose the reception venue.
Choosing the reception venue is one of the major areas of wedding preparation that should be done months ahead of the wedding date. Since you already know what kind of wedding you want to have and how many guests you want there, you can choose a venue that will suit these preferences and your budget. There are so many reception venues for fall, from outdoor gardens to barns, a local quaint hotel with a pretty courtyard or a small bed and breakfast for a small, intimate affair. Consult with your planner, ask recently married friends, look at venue directories in your area and check out bridal magazines and websites if you need more wedding venue inspiration.
4. Send out the save the dates.Some couples hold a photo shoot for Save the Dates, so you may need to book a photographer and have these cards printed before you are able to check this off your list. Plan for your Save the Dates ahead of time so you can get this out of the way and get back to wedding prep in no time.
5. Book your suppliers.Start looking for vendors right after your engagement because you will need to narrow them down until you meet the vendor that is appropriate for you. Vendors include your photographer, caterer, make-up artist for the big day, florists, and of course, your wedding coordinator. To make things easier, choose your coordinator first. He or she can do most of the legwork by connecting you with the vendors most likely to deliver the kind of products you want for the big day. Experts recommend doing this four to five months before the wedding date, because you still need to allocate a week or two to personal meetings with your potential vendors, attend cake tastings, meet with your make-up artist for a trial session, and the like.
6. Plan for a fall menu.A fall wedding is a great chance to showcase seasonal favorites, from decadent pumpkin pies to hearty dishes of lamb and pork to whet guests' appetites. Incorporate that romantic autumn feel by opting for apple-based desserts such as piping hot crispy apple pockets and hot cinnamon drinks. It is best to hire a wedding catering service early on in the preparation so you can work on the best dishes to incorporate in the menu. Giving yourself ample time to work on the menu plans with your wedding caterer is important especially if you have guests with allergies and other food considerations.
7. Prepare for fall weather.Fall days tend to be warm early in the day and gradually cool off as the sun sets. Depending on where you are holding the wedding, showers can happen. It is better to have a contingency plan, such as an indoor hall or tents nearby. For outdoor venues, keep fires burning around the venue. Serve hot cocoa or spicy pumpkin lattes to keep guests warm all throughout the night. Assign a corner where guests can grab umbrellas and complimentary wraps or shawls when it gets chilly. You can even use soft fall shawls, wraps and scarves as stylish wedding tokens for guests. There's no better season to get married on than fall. Romantic and colorful, fall can give you the perfect backdrop for an unforgettable wedding, whether set indoors or outdoors. With timely planning and the help of seasoned industry professionals, nothing can stop you from having the fall wedding of your dreams.
Having an efficient home is important for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, if your home is energy efficient, you will save money every month. It’s as simple as that. On top of that, maintaining your home’s energy efficiency is better for the environment, and more comfortable for you and your family. There are many ways the the efficiency of your home can be compromised. Doors, windows, HVAC systems, and general construction can all affect your home’s efficiency. If you have a historic home, or even just an older home, there are many things that you should check when it comes to efficiency. Modern construction techniques create much tighter and precise joints and seams in walls, windows, doors, and flooring. In older homes all of these areas should be checked to make sure that your cooled or heated air isn’t escaping through a bunch of tiny outlets. It's always a good idea to have your home’s efficiency checked by experts. Your local HVAC company can usually help you test your home to find out where conditioned air is escaping. They can also let you know if your windows or doors are creating hot or cold spots. Here are some solutions to various home efficiency issues:
- Applying Solar Window Films: Solar window films from 3M have a variety of uses, but chief among them is to reflect the sun’s rays to avoid hot spots around your windows that make your AC unit work harder. It’s recommended to have experts, such as Solar Concepts Inc., apply these films to make sure that it is done correctly.
- Regular HVAC Maintenance: Getting your HVAC serviced a couple times a year can make sure that everything is running as it should year round. This can help to catch small problems before they become larger issues. Regular maintenance will make sure that your HVAC stays as efficient as possible, which will keep your energy bills lower each month.
- Make Sure Doors and Windows Seal Tightly: The cracks around windows and doors are some of the biggest culprits of lost efficiency. They can usually be sealed up with weatherstripping or in some cases a fresh line of caulk. If you can feel drafts around your doors and windows, call a professional to come seal them up for you. You’ll save money every month and your house will be more comfortable year round.
Deciding on the proper HVAC company to take care of your home's required projects is not an easy decision, because with each contractor, comes different levels of experience, knowledge, and customer service. For reasons unknown, many times, HVAC contractors particularly have a bad reputation, and unfortunately, it can be well deserved. This is why it's vital that you do your proper research before deciding on a company to ensure that the work is not only completed timely and correctly, but also so you won't have any costs that may arise in the future due to the work not being completed properly. Here are some of our top tips for choosing the proper HVAC contractor for your next home project to ensure that you aren't left stranded with potentially costly repairs.
- Contractors who are willing to give estimates over the phone, without seeing the actual project scene and personally coming in to look over the area. No HVAC systems are exactly the same, and there are countless factors that come in to play when going through the HVAC process, including numerous outside factors. If a contractor is willing to give you an estimate instantly over the phone, they more than likely don't have significant experience in the industry, or just want to take your money. A true, experienced HVAC contractor will come out to your property, look at your crawl space, your attic, walk through your home, and check out all aspects before making an estimate or decision on what should be done.
- It's important that you decide upon an HVAC contractor who is not only experienced, but actually licensed as well, with the Contractors State License Board. It's vital that you check whether the company is licensed or not, so you can be sure there would be insurance in case a job is not completed properly or any issues arise with the work in the future.
- Be sure to use the internet to do your research on the company before you decide to go with the lowest bidder on the job. In many times, avoiding review sites with bad reputations such as Yelp will help you out in the long run as well.